Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Happens? (MA)















Many things come to mind when I see an old technology next to a new one. I wonder if these things are mutually exclusive. Do they reflect the old adage “out with the old and in with the new?” Is newer always better? Is there ever a compromise that occurs between something considered nostalgic and something considered state of the art? I think about technology and how difficult it is to familiarize oneself with the necessary tools required in the modern age. I find the newest technologies fascinating; yet, I am comfortable with the technology I grew up with. I suppose I’m trying to find the middle ground between “too old” and “too new.” So, what happens when these things are put together? In my opinion, creativity is born.

No comments:

Post a Comment