Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

CR: There is Nothing to See So We Look































RealEyes

"There's nothing to see so we look."
The other day, I wrote down the time at which I came to some sort of realization. Some with my girlfriend, some with myself, some with the homeless man sitting across from me on the F train. I've been thinking about this quote a lot, and I've been thinking about ways that we see without necessarily "seeing." Realizations are sometimes described as eye-openers, and I think recording times of day that you come to these sort of conclusions or understandings is a really beautiful way to interpret this phrase. Also, I thought it was a really genuine experience to write it down so delicately on the back of an old Book Culture receipt in my pocket. Receipts seem so worthless sometimes; we always get them and never save them and throw them out or use them as paper to spit gum into. But at the same time, it's a record of something. A way to remember some kind of formal transaction. In my mind, realizations can also be formal transactions of understanding, so pairing the material receipt with my writing was really interesting for me to explore.

At the top, I wrote my "song of the day." Everyday I have a song that seems to really resonate with me, and that day it just happened to be a song by Tegan and Sara. The main chorus is "I wouldn't like me if I met me. You wouldn't like me if you met me." Usually I write out the lyrics that stick out to me in my journal or keep in my pocket somewhere, and today I thought it was appropriate to include in my realization list.

No comments:

Post a Comment