Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Prompt 4: Change your world (CS)

























I've always been intrigued by Greenberg's theory that abstract art is the 'purest' form of art. Whenever I feel like I'm lacking inspiration or even just creativity, which I'm always striving for, I try to see art in the world. I don't mean just looking at other artists (though I do that too), I mean trying to visualize art where I wouldn't normally see it. Lately I've been taking photographs of nature in an increasingly abstract way, whether it's a focus on just the texture, or the colors, or a close up of the details; I try to portray the nature as if it's an abstract image. (There should be an image attached - it's an example of what I'm talking about). This is a way for me to try and train my eye and my mind to be able to see see the potential for art everywhere and anywhere, so that hopefully I'll never run out of inspiration or creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment