Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Prompt 4: Change your world (DP)

COLUMBIA PROJECT

Actually, I’m now experiencing one of the biggest changes of my life—coming to Columbia and spend a semester in New York. So I’m going to do a project with my own life.
How can I make the most out of the change happening at the moment?

A new life in an entirely new place can always make a difference. When I was in Brunei, the peaceful Islamic country impressed me a lot, and at the same time, exerted great changes on me, the primary school girl. So when I’m stuck in something or want a change, I will find a place. Take the bag and go somewhere, this is what I would like to do to change my life.

Step 1: A plane ticket to New York, that’s all you need to experience the whole new world.









Step 2: Explore the campus and make the most out of it.


How to change? By exposing, by experiencing.
Make a study about the campus and talk to some experienced people about it.

There must be a lot of interesting places in the campus. At the same time, it’s a big challenge for me, how to make good use of all the material and arrange my time in one semester. Where can I find some academic opportunity? Where can I meet some great people? Where can I find something cool? How can I really be a part of an American school?

The point is, how can I expose myself most to the change, and don’t be conservative.

My personal map will guide me somewhere, with my academic preference, personal interest, and future life planning.

























Step 3: From Columbia to New York.

There is one important thing that can’t be ignored, the New York city. Columbia cannot live without New York, and so can’t I. Education only count when it’s applied to the society. My life cannot be restricted in the campus.

So the next thing to do is completing my personal New York City map. Find out the places inspire me, the places with opportunity and the cool people here.



No comments:

Post a Comment