Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Prompt 4: Change your world (CR)

Words pour past your lips like sand.

Slits in the weights that tether your

Hot air balloon spirit to the cold ground.



Can't you feel my steel bones?

Bathe them in the river.

Set them out to dry.



Sand at my feet. Sand in your pockets. Sand in my arms.

Sand in my feet. Sand is my feet. I like sand.

My wet newborn child body covered in a layer

Of beige sand and mud.

Screaming out a question song.

Writing the answer song, screaming the answer song

To the space between my skull and my brain.



When do you know?

When did you know?

When did I think?

When do we think?



My bones rusted in the lag time.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautifull trip!
    It reminds me of the Tree of Life by Terrence Malick (the begining).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete