Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

What Happens? (LW)

I tried to create my "visual poem" by putting things next to other ones.
I can't describe what happens whithout being "cliché" because it's already "cliché".
I guess I'm just looking for one thing: to feel good. Safe. Warm.
I hope it inspires the same feeling to those who are looking at it.
Also I don't have a lot of things for the moment, only things I like, because I had to take the minimum in the airplane.
The first thing I did as I arrived here was this birds made of paper.
I live with them and need them to feel home.
I can't help thinking of Novalis and his Hymnen an die Nacht by seing this picture, and I remember the feeling of security and well-going I get before I go to sleep.
Now that I explained what happened, I realize I didn't take a lot of risks. But it's not always necessary to take risks. I mean, most of the time I think we have to try new things always and always but we also need landmarks? foundations? true anchors? Sorry I don't know the exact translation.
This picture "works" for me, I hope it inspires something for others too.

No comments:

Post a Comment