Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Political Image (ZK)




















I took this shot of my aunt and dad a few months ago. Normally, I don't consider my visual interests to be overly political, and I never took this to be a slanted shot. Aside from the humor, there is something in the picture that represents a symbol of how we view our problems. We the viewer can see that my dad is deeply enjoying his nap, and the threat of it ending might be the last thing on his dreaming mind. However, life is so much more ambiguous and complex than a simple nap. The water which will momentarily wake him up, can be read as a symbol for the types problems that arise when we least expect them. A quote from the famous "Sunscreen Speech" says that "the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, the kind that blindside you at 4 pm on some idle Tuesday." While ending my dad's nap is not a real trouble, I think it does put into perspective how little we can sense what is coming up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment