Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Prompt 4: Change your world (MA)

Affecting/Effecting/Changing My World

I continually reflect on how my world changes. I started to realize that I needed to change my world about nine years ago. I decided that I was going to dedicate my life to art. This realization affected every decision I have made since. I want to make art that changes people’s lives. I want to dream and create and realize systems that replace inefficient ones with new sustainable and fair practice systems. I want the work that I do to have a positive impact in the way people live and interact with each other. I want to be an artist who collaborates with the community and is a part of an interdependent society. This does not mean that I would give up my own independence or lose my love of producing or enjoying all other types of art; it just means that I want to produce substantive art. I am currently part of a team that is designing a campus for sustainable food, agriculture, and entrepreneurship. We feel that the current food system is broken and we want to design a place where people can learn, create, and collaborate in order to change the way our food system works. I appreciated what Peter Fend said about artists being innovators and taking responsibility for moving society forward. I do not, however, believe that this is or should be the only role of the artist. I do like the idea that one can propose a social project that could potentially benefit the lives of others and it be considered art. For me, I want to think about what I am creating and most importantly, “why?” This is the question that keeps me in a state of flux. As I age, different things become increasingly important and I want to create art that constantly expresses this natural progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment