Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Stream of Consciousness Atlas

I guess its important to make things that I care about and to make things that I like making. But also important for me is making things that other people can care about. I want to make art that affects other people in real ways. But I can’t really say for sure what that is.
I guess I can say that I want to be able to go back to where I come from, and say ‘this is what I like to make,’ and have people understand/relate/be able to comment on whatever it is. I hate the idea of making work that people who don’t identify as artists can’t understand. 
Accessibility.
That’s the word. I want my art to be accessible to more than just a select few. 
This is probably what I’ve been thinking about the most recently. Mostly because I am trying to avoid the navel-gazing that I often associate with conceptual art. But I wouldn’t be honest if I said that the reason for this was my concern for ‘other people struggling to understand art or something,’ I also feel that working on conceptual art projects really tires me as an artist, I have to end up answering the “what is this about? why are you/am I making this?” question for myself as well as for others. And it ends up feeling like something that I nor other can really connect to. 
Connections.

I like connecting with other artists and other people, creating intercultural relationships that can be based on shared experience and identity. I want to make art that does this? That should be a statement and not question but I’m okay with still figuring it out. I want to make art that connects me to other people, either through the final product or through the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment