Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Exhibition/Event Proposal


Honestly, this prompt has triggered me to realize that I haven’t had any aspiration and ambition for my so-called ideal exhibition in the future as an artist/ art student. I still don’t know what I would want to present about myself as an artist to the public or plan any exhibition under my name, and I believe I’m still working on it in finding about what to communicate with public if I were indeed given such opportunity.  

Many of the galleries we have visited so far were very interesting and inspiring. Yet, what I’m sure about my future exhibition/event I would want to plan is that I would not want it to be in the gallery space. For me, some of the gallery spaces come to me as too restricted and limited, and If I were given the opportunity to communicate myself with the public, I would definitely want to use an open, public environment.

I always like being in an open space, especially at some kind of places where everything is just perfectly balanced and make you think and ponder. (Like small gardens, parks…etc) One of the most inspiring places that I have recently visited was Millennium Park (+SAIC Wellness park) in Chicago. 






Urban landscape planning and design within the area were exceptionally alluring and I was indeed in awe the whole day; the city buildings, nature, art and sculptures, people and everything else were all beautifully balanced, thus creating a single piece of art by merely existing there at that moment. The feeling I got there I cannot actually express in words, and I would actually want to trigger such feelings and emotions to public if I could in the future. I think for me now, such feelings and the ambience created through installation is much more important and captivating as an artist than certain ideas conveyed through artworks.

Thus my ideal exhibition/event would not distinguish art from the environment. I really want my art to blend in with the surrounding environment and with the audience beautifully, without forcing the audience to think that they are now in an art exhibition and present them with a series of artworks that “This is my art.” Rather, I would want them to enjoy the ambience, environment, mood and their existence of being there, and to just simply- enjoy.

Though I don’t have any concrete idea of what kind of art piece I would install in such environment, the environment that I would definitely want to experiment and work with is here in New York City. Personally, it has been hard for me to find any place in New York where makes me feel such way that I felt in Chicago. It is a beautiful environment, yet I feel like such places that make people to take a break and gain emotional serenity within this city is actually needed. The most powerful thing about the Millennium park was that the bean sculpture in the center of the park was not only an art piece but of a reflection of the whole environment around and of the audience themselves present there, making the whole surrounding a merged-one-holistic piece of art.

I would definitely want to experiment such idea here in New York, where people are too busy to neglect their inner beauty of themselves and the environment they are living in.

It’s distressing that I still do not have any concrete plans for the artwork for this, but I’m sure I would definitely start off from this idea and push on-

No comments:

Post a Comment