Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Junk in the Soul Trunk

apartment lararium
Psychologically and spiritually, what does a clean bedroom say about someone? What does a messy living room say?  A cluttered desk?


My apartment is a mess.  There are empty bottles everywhere of Red Bull, diet Snapple, and water.  I’m thirty-five years old, what could this possibly say about me?  The answer is a resounding “nothing good.”  I look to my altar for spiritual nourishment, but until I put an empty bottle of Red Bull on it, it’s a lie.  I come to this path unclean and “messed up,” clogged with things all about me.  No emotion I have can ever be truly felt without something in me clogging it.  My blood doesn’t flow through my arteries because they are clogged.  I can’t get out what I’m trying to say, my mind is clouded.  I can’t exit my bedroom because of the clutter around the door.  Nothing new to say.  Despite what they say about Einstein having a messy bedroom, I can’t escape the truths my living situation speaks about me, and the fact that I am no Einstein goes without saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment