Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Prompt #2: Imagined Gallery Show

During our Lower East Side gallery walk, the space that was hands-down most interesting to me in which to potentially host an exhibition was the Salon 94 Freemans space in that small alley area.

I think much of the charm of the space for me lies in the fact that it's so out of the way. I think that if I were in charge of organizing a show of some type there, I may take that into account when deciding on the content of the show — I think it would be interesting to host a show there that consisted of artwork which had something to hide, or somehow "revealed" something to the viewer.  I don't know that I have any particular works in mind that would fit the mold, but I would open the call to artists across mediums and would be interested in seeing how that larger umbrella theme would be taken in and applied by the artists interested in the show.

I may also try to re-vamp the space's entrance somehow, making it more of an interactive process to get inside of the gallery for the show, just for fun.  (Think the secret-phonebooth entrance to the PDT bar inside of Crif Dogs in the East Village. But obviously less elaborate, I wouldn't expect the gallery owners to rip out their existing door/infrastructure at all obviously...)

One of my favourite pieces in the current installation at the Salon 94 Freemans gallery was the ceramic functional stereo that viewers were allowed to interact with — in that same vein I think the most exciting potential pieces for this imagined show, for me, would be things that demanded interaction; perhaps a text that required a code or tool to read, or a work contained inside of something else that the viewer would have to open or unlock to see.  Although, again, I wouldn't limit it at all.  I have no doubts that interpretations of "hiddenness" or "secrets" by other artists would be more interesting than my own.

- Natalie M.

No comments:

Post a Comment