Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

purple is the most beautiful color

One common platitude about art is the saying "art is the universal language". In truth it is nothing but.  Art is created and defined by the strict cultural code depending when, where and how it was created. Not only that, it often falls victim to circumstances of regional, political limits of the time as well. Korean modern dancer Choi Seung-hee, or better known as Sai Shoki - in Japanese pronounciation, was just such a case. Choi modernized what was then considered low-brow form of art, Korean folk dance, and brought it into wide recognition beyond the borders. Ironically, her genius was recognized by Japanese intellectuals and artists, and she was forced to perform for Japanese troops at front lines. Which branded her as colonist collaborator and forever tainting her accomplishments. Sometimes I wonder what it's like to be phenomenally talented and born at the wrong time, as I am neither. Luckily I am not so unfortunate.

I was surprised when I learned Andy Warhol was a devout catholic. I don't think it is coincidence that creative types are drawn to supernatural things. They are deeply mystic, ritualistic and sometimes downright superstitious. Fortunately many have good sense to be religious. Religious experience and artistic experience are, in essence, same thing. Process, the how of creativity can be methodical and structured, but why of art is unquantifiable and possibly impossible to understand. These thing that are not falsifiable hold immense appeal to those who are prone to think abstractly and understand ambiguity. Having plenty of ambiguity in life is a good thing for artists.

When someone asks me what's the worst job I had I always answer: "the one that I have now". I've been working as a bartender for a while now. People figure I must have a lot of crazy stories. i do. Unfortunately most of them are not fun-crazy stories (although I have plenty of those). They are crazy crazy stories. One night the bar owner says: "Watch out for Jamaicans. They're plotting something". Apparently local thugs (their leader calls himself "fame") are pimping out a girl in the area. And I am not to let her into the bar as she is underage - we could get in trouble. When I heard this i couldn't help but laugh. Not only am I powerless to help this person, my role in her life is going to be just another person makes it little bit worse.

A big part of naturalization process is renouncing your allegiance to your old country. You are sworn to give up all privileges, titles and allegiance to the place you were born for the new one. Most of the questions during citizenship interview is rather straightforward (are you now, or have ever been, member of the Nazi party?). The only question that made me stop and think was when the interviewer asked if I wanted to change my name. Woohyoung, I like it - but I found it rather tiring whenever people pronounce it wrong(always) and I have to correct it, maybe I could anglicize it a little. I stop and think for three minutes. I decide to keep it.

I wonder if I had different name would I still be me? Probably, Maybe- would I be still what I am if I wasn't born where I was? And didn't grow up where I did - or if I had different experiences, I wonder if I will still say what I feel, which is this: No matter what circumstances- privileges, adversities all- I have been, I will be doing art.


Tony Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment