Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Prompt 3


For this project I wanted to explore the absence of space and how the removal of a part of an object affects that object. For step one I cut open an avocado. Something I noticed is that all the avocados I have cut in New York this year have dripped green liquid when I cut them and this never happens in California. For part two I removed the fleshy part of the avocado. The inside of the avocado also doesn’t taste as good in New York as California. I left the avocado shells out on my desk for two days. When I came back they had shriveled up and there was white mold growing on them. I usually throw away the outside right away so I have never seen what happens to the avocado once the meat is gone. I was surprised by how much it shrank and that mold had grown so quickly.
            I am interested in exploring how negative space or nothingness can affect a work just as much as adding a real object can. I didn’t expect my cutting and removing to cause growth but in this case it did. I also forgot that the texture of the outside would change just as much as the inside would. The outside would have changed regardless but I think removing the inside sped up the process.



No comments:

Post a Comment