Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Prompt 1


             My favorite show that we saw was Une Danse des Bouffons by Marcel Dzama. I enjoyed being able to walk through a room filled with drawings and sculptures that highlighted the theme of the film before actually watching it. The film itself was wacky, unsettling, and a little grotesque. But I loved it. He successfully created his own little world in the film, which is very powerful for me as a viewer to see. When watching his film I felt like I was in a futuristic world in which rights were limited and a fear of the trickster is very strong. At the same time people were wearing masks and costumes that looked like they would be made as art in the past. This confusion of what time we were watching gave the film’s setting a very surreal vibe. We were obviously inside the artist’s imagination and I really enjoyed that.
            In the theatre there was a statue of a calf head and a vagina on the chest. I noticed it on the way out. After I had just watched a man being birthed out of that statue it was very impactful to see. The scene in the movie was very grotesque. Watching a birth in general is off-putting, but having it with a man’s body and a calf’s head took out all femininity and made it even more off-putting for me to see. The grossness of the scene contrasted with the woman’s expression of happiness to see her lover effectively illustrated the messed up situations people will put themselves through if it means they can be with the one that they love. It was a very unconventional love story, but very effective and I’m glad I got to see it

No comments:

Post a Comment