Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

My (uncertain-certain) Atlas


The most interesting of this process is that I realize that I don’t have a single definite answer coming into my mind when posed with this query. I’ve been doing art, making art and creating things up till this point without without a definite answer, and still, I don’t find a definite one answer coming within me of what constitutes my atlas. I have started this kind of inquiry or self-examination only recently and I find it extremely perplexing or even burdensome. But, as suggested, I will try, give it a try, to just start writing, seeing how it goes- and perhaps having not a definite answer will be my answer, and look forward if such uncertainty might be my certainty:
Definitely, I’m full of uncertainty. Or instability. Yet, always seeks for balance or resolution or the end of something.
View things in short-terms. Tasks Tasks Tasks. The things I’m faced with. And perhaps I’ve perceived art making this way as well.
But still, making and creating something new give me something else. Perhaps something of a different kinds of excitement and achievement from finishing work and other tasks.
Visuals. Visuals are what make it different. Making and creating art is a visual process (yet physical) and the result is shown visual. I find many things around myself and my life inspiring or attracting, visually.
What are those? Definitely, nature, colors, people, fashion and the harmony of all.
Obsessively, a particular inclination in the relationship between the nature and people, and finding the ultimate balance and harmony among them-visually.
I always force myself to be busy, but at the same time also seek to feel peaceful and calm- especially through nature/outdoor.
A person of dichotomy and balance at the same time.
I see a lot of both dichotomy and balance in my works. I create to break chaos and to reach balance. Within that lies both uncertainty and peace.
Another strong inspiration: my background, experiences, culture from Korea.
East Asian art and their strong cultural aspects and inclinations in nature. Nature as their prime creator and a means to seek balance and peace in their lives.
Ancient Chinese scrolls- best example of all.
Prefer viewing than creating. Seeking the desired quality through seeing, viewing and experiencing, rather than being engaged in the process of making and creating. – explains my inclination in more of business side of art and fashion industry than being in fine arts and design.
I think, make, create and try to find the- point/level of certainty. Yet I know it might not come at all.
So it comes to- Christianity. A strong, or the strongest force behind myself and my life and my family. The most important factor that holds me within all these uncertain and unstable “atlas”.
I believe in that all these thoughts and my abilities (including making and creating art) come from Him, and He chose these qualities, including my artistic talents, to me- in this sense, I only work as to pursue my given talent- not of solely myself but for a greater means.
Therefore, though I define and know myself to be lost, I know I’m not- and this is why I keep pushing myself- and to push myself to create. 
At least for now, I guess this is my atlas. and I see it a little bit more clear now.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment