Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Prompt #1: Chelsea Gallery Walk

During the Chelsea gallery walk, I think my personal favourite piece/show we encountered was the Marcel Dzama show at the David Zwirner Gallery.  

On my first run through of the show, it was clear that everything in the space was part of a singular related project; although I didn't exactly understand what it was, I was very much on board with it on an aesthetic level.  After watching the films in the two rooms and picking up a copy of the accompanying statement I appreciated it even more — I think taking a real life event (in this case the affair between Marcel Duchamp and Maria Martins) and using it to create an (arguably) more interesting fictionalized account of the events is really interesting from a creative standpoint.  I also found I appreciated the show more after learning about the many levels of inspiration that went into the works, beyond the circus/jester imagery that was extremely evident at first glance.  (For example, the Nigerian god figure and the Calf figure taken from a Picabia painting.)  I also appreciated the colour divide between the two "halves" of the show; the first half which was heavily tending toward red tones and the other blue, separated by the videos of dancers in black and white on the televisions in the room between the two.

As it stands we already spent quite a long amount of time in that gallery compared to the others, but I feel as though I would've been perfectly content staying there for longer, and even then I doubt I would have absorbed all of the content that the show had to offer.


- Natalie M.

No comments:

Post a Comment