Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

When there is nothing to see...I make word painting

Today my entire flat was subject to me bemoaning where my art practice as become. Cries of "I used to be a painter" and now I am reduced to making childhood crafts (paper mache has taken over my life). But, to answer the prompt when there is nothing to see I cannot paint. I paint what I see. Currently I have been trying to play more with abstraction and form and concepts as opposed to technical skills. Then I had the best response ever to my lament - Emily you're a painter just say it maybe you are painting with words. Light bulb. I had been using words in my work as meaning but not as a tool for creation of line. It hadn't occurred to me to look at these forms. Really look at them. It was just words on a page after all...nothing special nothing new. But when I studied them more carefully and broke down the forms themselves I was able to push the concepts further that I had been playing with all along but in a more visually pretty way. This is just the beginning of where this is going. Simply the start of a formal breakdown one pattern of the many I will make I think...or I might make my paper mache monsters who know. Oh and I put in a painting just so you could see. For reference.

Look at all the detail...oooo
You can take the girl out of the drapery study but never the drapery study out of the girl...

Oh and on a side note I think there is a monster in my studio and I am worried it is going to come alive a la Audrey 2....

No comments:

Post a Comment