Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Gift-Wrapped Presence


I love this show by Elad Lassry at 303 Gallery, and this fragment, above, is taken from my very favorite piece in the exhibition, “Untitled (Bell Peppers)”. I should note that I typically reserve such enthusiasm for painting. I crave good painting like I crave chocolate. That is, viscerally and daily. The difference is that I get to eat chocolate every day. Great painting is a rarer treat, even in New York City. The amazing Charlene von Heyl show at Petzel should sate me until whatever oily excellence appears next at the galleries. Photographs, on the other hand, usually feel like journalism or tricks or one-liners to me. I rarely think of a photograph outside my purview. A great painting stays with me. 

Enough about my ongoing Great Painting Search. Let's discuss the game-changing Elad Lassry. I am drawn to his transformation of photographs of the quotidian -- flowers, a massage in progress -- into crafty objects. The satin wrappers are so unexpected, so inviting, that I could barely contain myself from touching, squeezing, caressing. 

I found our framing assignment particularly difficult with the Lassry pieces because he has done so much framing himself. There is the usual framing that every photographer engages in -- choosing what to photograph, choosing which parts of his chosen image to reveal to the viewer. Then, he takes an unusual third step. With gorgeously tactile swaths of opaque satin, he hides parts of his photographs. 

In “Untitled (Blond Woman)”, below, the expertly folded, steel-blue satin hangs just above the action, poised, like one of those perforated-metal window garages protecting so many NYC storefronts, to further reveal or secret away more lurid detail. 



In “Bell Peppers,” Lassry takes a rather mundane black-and-white of bell peppers and wraps it up, wood frame and all, as one would a parcel. But his parcel string is UPS-standard brown, gussied up in stuffed satin. Now we have four quadrants, plus the complication of the Orly Genger-like knot. This is a lot of tight, advanced framing to deal with, and it's not all straight edges!

I decided to focus on the top right-hand quadrant because I dig how Lassry has arranged the two more obscured peppers to cuddle up against the satin corner, and my own framing could reinforce that idea by cutting out the negative space on the right, thereby making the dominant pepper feel cozier -- or more claustrophobic? -- too. Now the satin is like a comfy reclining hammock for our typically uncoddled, antioxident rich friends. 

Rebecca Cascade

No comments:

Post a Comment