Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

My contemporary

I would prefer not to choose a contemporary.  I really aspire to be a contemporary of all artists who's work I come across, to be able to synthesize different references to their work consciously or unconsciously, while still managing to hopefully remain somewhat naive and not slowed down by any of my own possible preconceived notions about what is good or bad art.  I'd like to remain an intuitive and expressive worker who can take inspiration from work from any period of art history.  Every art piece, I think, is timeless, regardless of how strongly tied the work is to the social and historical context in which it was created.  I have found that every work of art that I see has something to teach me. This concept of periods and movements within art history is fascinating and valuable, but I'm not sure that it has any relevance to my vision of how I would like to make art in the future.

I can definitely think of current artists who's work I like and am inspired by, but I consider all of them contemporaries.

If I had to choose a contemporary, I might choose the person or people who did the cave paintings at Lascaux.


I like that the Lascaux cave paintings are pure and at the same time deep, highly expressive, thoughtful, and incredibly human.  There is something timelessly artistic and expressive about the paintings that I think embodies the human desire to create art. 


Take something, do something to it, do something to it again.  Take a bunch of things, smash 'em together, do something to 'em, do something to 'em again.  It's fucking fun.  I aspire to smash a bunch of things together.  I hope that one day someone might smash the things that I've smashed together and done something to together with the things that  someone else has smashed together and done something to.  It's like baby making, I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment