Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Prompt #5: My Contemporary

My contemporary artist would undoubtably be Damien Hirst. I first encountered his work in my art history class in high school; I was shocked at that time to learn that this artist used dead animals in his works. I simply thought it was overly grotesque for someone to employ such method. Never have I thought that art could be so disgusting. Yet, this particular trait makes Hirst the "contemporary artist," one who, according to the text, "perceive[s] the darkness if the present." (46). Hirst boldly portrays death itself, as well as the vanity of the world. I think it is crucial for a person to contemplate about his death or his end of time, so that he can live the present at his fullest. I have learned that by realizing and actualizing my own death, I was able to be more bold and adventurous in what I do, since death is the single most uncomfortable truth that all men have to face. In fact, knowing death allowed me to cherish the present, and thankful for all that is given today. Damien Hirst, an artist who speaks of death in the midst of the living world, is the contemporary artist who represents "the beam of darkness that comes from his own time." (45)





No comments:

Post a Comment