Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Prompt #6

I'm sorry this is late--I had to wait for my friend to send me these files and he took longer than planned!

First and foremost, as you know, I am a visual thinker. Music doesn't make much sense to me. A completely invisible world of senses? How is that possible??? I talk about this a lot with one of my best friends, who is an acoustic thinker. The comments he makes about the way things sound are always so surprising and funny to me because if he hadn't have been there, I would have missed it. For example, one time we were cooking and when I dropped the fish on the pan, he said, "That sound is so hot." It was literally hot, but so not hot, i.e. very unattractive. Even though it's loud, I can't see it, so I don't notice it.

The first song is an unfinished piece he wrote based on journeys he and I have had together. What's crazy is that, because I know what he's referencing, I can understand the sound. When I listen to this song, my brain shuts off and I begin re-experiencing memories that I have stored in my mind's eye. When I say that my brain shuts off, I mean that I stop seeing. This is hard to articulate. I can't focus on anything--if someone were to wave their hand in front of my face I probably wouldn't notice. It feels like my brain is shutting off because I am normally so dependent on seeing. Try to listen to the song loud on high-quality speakers; you'll "see" how it makes your brain feel like it's melting. I really do think my friend is a genius.

The other song is something he sent me by accident when he was trying to send me the correct file twenty-two minutes ago, but it has a similar effect.

Find songs on SoundCloud

2 comments:

  1. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to get the music on to SoundCloud so tell me if it works--I'll be surprised if it does...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete