Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Prompt #6: When there is nothing to see, you look.

We often tend to take things for granted. Even the very environment that surrounds us is not something unusual. Our eyes swiftly move around, seeking to sense something sensational or outstanding; yet, by doing so, it is easy to miss the great detail that exists around us. For instance, I looked around my room, searching for something new. To my disappointment, there was nothing that captured my eye, or even moved my heart. At that moment, I decided to stop seeing, and to "look" at a particular thing. A silver lightbulb, which was illuminating with bright, shining light, was standing solidly on a desk. It did not move, yet this very stillness captured my attention; it was shining by itself, spreading light all around the room. Then, I looked at the window behind. The white, linear quality of the window was fresh and fascinating. There was great simplicity with the strictly linear lines of the window. I realized, that when I see something, I miss the hidden meaningful, interesting feature of the detail. When I look, there is a panorama of depth and excitement,

No comments:

Post a Comment