Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Post 5: Contemporary


        In reading the article and contemplating what it means to be contemporary, I quickly found myself feeling as though for me, this connection is not with a single artist, idea or thing. It is that collection of visual references that are so deeply embedded in my unconscious, those manifest motifs, that are my contemporary. As I knew (but was profoundly confronted with visually during the presentations), I have a very specific personal aesthetic that is intensely linked to who I am. 


The article quickly conjured Baudelaire's Dandy, the man who is at once a part of and apart from his age. I acknowledge that I am a product of the technological era. I consume images and construct identities with vigor, but, like the dandy perhaps, or the contemporary, I am aware of this on some level. I feel very connected to the idea of the "shattering, as well as of the welding, of the age's vertebrae." I've always had interests that "compete" in the eyes of the other. I, like everyone really, am not defined by a singular passion. Thus, being at once shattered and welded resonates with me, despite the tension that it may arouse in those that feel the need to appraise and classify people. 


It is from this place that my contemporary becomes, at once, all that my inner eye connects to. The sum of these elements, the broken whole, is what inspires me- it is what makes me excited and what drives me towards creative industries (the fact that fashion was not a key component in my presentation two was a self-crime.. it is, undoubtedly, one of my primary interests and something I have engaged with a lot in my spare time and summers). 


      The images I include are from my pinterest boards. It is on these small morsels that my eye often feasts, frivolous? To some perhaps, but I've recently realized just how relative frivolity and excess are. I enjoy the image generating world we live in. Does it sometimes overwhelm and drive me towards fantasies of empty fields and solitude? Of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment