Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fragmentation - or what I saw.

On our gallery walk, I wasn't really attracted by this painting:


But when I looked closer, I saw this:



Suddenly I was really attracted. I started remembering my days as a carpenter, standing at the big saw the whole day, cutting wood for many students, bit by bit. I dreamed about the saws and the noise, the odor of resin, my dusty hair. After a while I woke up again and left.

After two weeks now, with more distance, I have a warm feeling looking at this painting. The mood I was in when I safed the stage of mind decided now, what my relation to this painting is. I can only speculate, but I guess it wasn't the intention of the painter. At this point, a painting starts to live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

No comments:

Post a Comment