Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Prompt #3

I am so sorry--I misread the prompt and thought we were supposed to take pictures of anything, fragmenting it from its place in our world in order to see it differently. I took some pictures on the walk but they turned out ugly so this is a photo that I took the day before. Two buildings side by side. I don't think that the architects meant for the two sets of ironwork on the front of the buildings interact with each other! To me, it looked like the one gate was reaching out for a knob on the building next to it. I know this is weird, but it reminded me of either something sexual or a baby reaching out for its mother's breast. Click the image so you can see it in full detail!

No comments:

Post a Comment