Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

some thoughts on Gustave Doré, Benozzo Gozzoli, pictorial narratives and details


This is not about a “choice”. It is impossible for me to make it (and it will take me to a different sort of discussion here). It's a story that I hope continues to unfold. I have a small booklet (5”x7.5”) of Gustave Doré's bible illustrations with me since I was three years old, a selection of 125 of “famous bible Illustrations” printed in Israel in the early 50's “depression” period. 
Paul Gustave Doré1832-1883 was a French artist, engraver, illustrator and sculptor. His career which started early on (at the age of 15 he has been already publishing his work) was mainly focused on engraving (wood, steel), and illustrations of seminal literary works by Rabelais, Balzac, Milton and Dante. His illustrations for the English Bible, completed in 1866, were a great success and in 1867 he had a major exhibition of his work in London. His woodcuts and engravings (later on he made series for Edgar Allan Poe's The Raven and Cervantes's Don Quixote) remain his most celebrated work (even though he produced numerous paintings). He created over 10,000 engravings and 4000 editions in forty year period! Here a world of fantasy is developed with rich detail and depth depicting, scenes, characters, landscapes and events in romantic grand manner. In the case of the bible, the scenes focus on a dramatic pivotal moment in a story; Absalom caught in a tree, Lot's wife turning her head, King Saul attempting to kill David etc., 


 They are full of movement and dramatic excess of expression. Also the scenery is a dramatic romantic rendition of 19th century imagery of the holy land. I grew up in Israel where bible studies were forced upon secular educational program right from the start so this booklet really left a strong visual impression on me. 



 I remember going through it millions of times, referring to it along with school narratives, a kind of a graphic novel (titles..no captions).  I was drawn to the narrative as much as to the pictorial elements and particulars. I've never thought of it as “inspirational”, rather as a beautiful relic from my early past, partly a nostalgia item, yet a tangible living thing from my beginning, a link to my early childhood. Only when I started to get involved in printmaking and etching in particular, I came back to this book (I actually was asked to bring a particular and personal item to the class and intuitively I chose it). The etched line gave way to the inscribed past memory. It has become sort of an opening for me for the exploration of that past.
Also these illustrations, engravings, small as they are formatted, have a whole detailed world in them that pulls one in. I've been always drawn to works that are rich in detail. I like the engulfing, immersing effect of details..the ecstatic abundance feeling they create. There are so many examples but I chose one of my favorites here as a guide to “total” experience : Benozzo Gozzoli's Medici chapel in the Pallazzo Riccardi. The paintings (1459) in wet and dry frescoes technique, depict the journey of the magi from Jerusalem to Bethlechem, a journey that surround the whole wall space of the chapel (competing/completing wooden ceiling with roses in gold and colors, inlaid floor of ancient marbles (architect Michelozzo di Bartolommeo) and richly sculpted benches). 


Gozzoli, like a fine goldsmith, depicts precious materials of jewelry, fabrics, transparencies, harnesses, trees with fruit, meadows with flowers, birds' plumage, multi colored angels' wings, dogs , horses and even a panther.  The abundance of detail in this small room is breathtaking.  


Moreover the room is completely closed (no windows, doors or any other openings (apart from the narrow entrance door).  All of this  put in question not only its aesthetic but also its purpose. Is this a place for meditation?   I think it is.  Not only harmonious,   it manages in  creating an infinite feeling of space, a true ecstatic experience.  perfect. 
Dore and Gozzoli are my contemporaries.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I loved this. Thank you. I am in awe of Gozzoli's work. I wish I could feel he was my Contemporary! :)

    ReplyDelete