Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ideas as activities

-->
POINTEDNESS : This sphere will be a sharp point when it gets to the far corners of the room in your mind.

Yes painting

Cut Piece
Yoko Ono’s oeuvre spans across all media. Although her association with John Lennon overshadows her reputation as an artist, her work exudes both poignancy and playfulness. Her conceptually based works and performances activate viewers as participants. And while some of these contain(ed) social critique relevant to the political situation of the day, they also transmit a compelling sense of possibility and human agency. I admire how she makes art a viewpoint and not just a “thing.”  Although I am not exactly an artist, I resonate with her ethos of making ideas and then inviting people to inhabit them with their own sensibility. I like the idea her work gives to me—that art is a way of seeing and thinking and doing that is not exactly the same as mastering the material or producing a closed experience. I like the activity suggested by her work. I like the work the "viewer" gets to do in her work. When I make ideas, whether as physical entities or movements, I want them to engage both body and mind. I want to provoke activity and curiosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment