Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Overhead Fluorescents

said fluorescents
I snapped this photo during our gallery walk through Chelsea. Not particularly responsive to the gallery, I took in the surrounding structure of the building (because that's just what I do). Looking up, I saw these lights. Now, when looking at these lights, most people would probably see rather unappealing scraps of metal and glass hanging from the ceiling. That's cool, yo; that is what they are. But what do I see? I see structure and form, brightness and contrast. Sharp lines that could be developed and manipulated to create new silhouettes and textiles. For me, these lights are a source of inspiration.

But that's just what I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment