Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lovers of paradise


First, I loved the Agamben reading on contemporaries! What a concise exploration of what it means to be of one’s time, or rather to be timeless…
Especially in his discussion of fashion as a style of sin derived from adam and eve’s first adornment of leaves, and the idea of always being slightly out of date.

Aesthetic contemporaries.. Cody Cobb, Claire Denis, Pina Baush, Yoann Lemoine, Sorcha O Raghallaigh. I tend to connect most with musicians, writers, and skateboarders in terms of contemporaries, influence, and perspective. At the same time, I’m interested in putting together many voices of my contemporaries from all around saying the same thing… but then don’t we all say the same thing anyway?

"Thus, like a precious, fleeting foam over the sea of suffering arise all those works of art, in which a single individual lifts them self for an hour so high above their personal destiny that their happiness shines like a star and appears to all who see it as something eternal and as a happiness of their own." Hesse




What struck me most in the Agamben reading is the necessity to reveal darkness in light of the present. I am currently reading De Profundis by Oscar Wilde, in which he jumps ship from his typical excursions in pleasure to write about suffering. Suffering as the place of realization, innovation, and mystery. The truth where there is no shadow.

I feel Wilde is a true contemporary. I was walking in London with my friend Melody at the beginning of night, and she introduced me to Oscar Wilde with the quote “the only spoiled life is one whose growth is arrested.” De Profundis describes a period in Wilde’s life when he was sent to prison for 2 years, and there found in suffering the secret to his happiness.

Wilde says “Pleasure for the beautiful body. But pain for the beautiful soul.”

"Now I find hidden somewhere away in my nature something that tells me that nothing in the whole world is meaningless, and suffering least of all. That something hidden away in my nature, like a treasure in a field, is Humility. It is the last thing left in me, and the best: the ultimate discovery at which I have arrived, the starting-point for a fresh development. It has come right out of myself... It could not have come before, nor later. Had anyone told me of it, I would have rejected it. Had it been brought to me, I would have refused it... Of all things it is the strangest. One cannot acquire it, except by surrendering everything that one has. It is only when one has lost all things, that one knows that one possesses it."

To seek to taste the fruits of all life’s pleasures, and to live inside of and seek out the depths of suffering. This idea of darkness as a pathaway to something more is present in both Agamben and Wilde’s work…
Wilde very much lived everything he knows.. having Wilde’s work is like ‘having a friend in the diamond business’ – knowing somebody who sees life from the same place you do, who has been to many hilltops and river valleys, and can at least show you by example, that what you know is not unique.
His example reminds us what we are incapable of living – the past
and the present as being unlived. As Agamben defines the contemporary, he gave everything he had to his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment