Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

From Whom and what are we Contemporaries

I am interested in the concept of "untimeliness" or "urgency" and "need" that "presses, and transforms" time in the fissure of our present (46-47). As I understand it the shadow that the present casts on the past is what we have unconsciously retrieved from the past, regurgirated and transformed into our present. It can never fully be the same as it was in the past, because we can not live the past. Thus, what we retrieve gets mingeled with our present light to become something new. The urgency and need to find this "what" from the past, often because it is missing in our present, is what I interpret as a "craving." And to satisfy a craving is part of the creative act. But what I crave comes from my unconscious which also belong to the collective unconcsious.
Having said this much there is not one artist, image or thing in my unconscious that affect my craving --but many. I do not know before hand who or what it is. Only after the  painting is done may I see it.
In the wood-cut below, I craved for something, perhaps, what we call romantic. It was not untill several weeks later that I  realized that a paper I had written on Yoko Ono that included a photo of John Lennon kissing Yoko was the object that had influenced my craving. It came forth from my unconscious redigested into something new.  But, if I was to choose an artist that has influenced my work I would not choose Yoko or John consciously.


I




In this work my cravings were atmosphere and nature. I had found my angle, spot and light in Riverside Park. As with the previous picture I did not know that someting additional to the here and now had made its way into the  picture. Much later did I recognize something from Rousseau le Douanier and Rodchenko's angled photos.
Thus, in my opinion it is in the redigestion of something unconsciously craved from some where else, from any time, added to the here and now that makes it contemporary. For the process, I am still in an intuitive stage that should not be analysed too much by words since it must remain intuitive to take part in the constant flow of creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment