Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Prompt 1

During our first gallery walk I only took one photo on my phone. It was a small piece, I didn’t know how it was made and all I remembered was that I liked it and it was untitled. It was a two-dimensional work that appeared to have been made using repurposed paper and a printing technique that I wasn’t at all familiar with. It was taking me ages to find the artist and to figure out what gallery we had seen it at, but thankfully the technology of google saved me. (If you didn’t already know, google reverse image search is something truly heavenly).The piece was created by a musician/visual artist who goes by the name ‘Antony.’ Which to be honest, I really appreciate. I’ve been slowly trying to transition out of using my last name to just being ‘Gesiye’ (because let’s be serious, how many other Gesiye’s am I going to be confused with). 
But, I’m rambling, that’s not the point here. One of the main reasons I was drawn to the piece was for its balance between being representational and abstract. While there were clear and recognizable images within the work, much of it was covered in textured layers of paint and ink. This, combined with the repurposed paper gave the work an archival quality. Within the context of my own work, this piece made me consider abstractions and manipulations of my photographs that I hadn’t thought of before. 

No comments:

Post a Comment