Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Waking up in the morning and thinking about

What is important to me is relevancy. My place within the immediate space, the immediate space in relation to me, the people who perceive me and whom I perceive, the invisible strings holding us all together within this space; the invisible world we create between ourselves and the spaces surrounding us is what I always want to consider when approaching art.

Perhaps the weight at the center of this web is sincerity. Am I being sincere to my own process of perception? Am I being sincere to the space and to those who create this world of relations with me? Are they being sincere back, and if not are they worth my time or is it worth my time? Is what needs to be said in whatever layer of being and relations I engage with  being said? Would this make my mom happy? Would this make my dad happy? Do they know that I am thinking of them or is it enough for me to just think of them?

Waking up inside my body and my body is in space but it came from somewhere and I am just as much part of it as the space it inhabits. It is powerful in that way. That is what I hope to always think about when approaching "art".

No comments:

Post a Comment