Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Radical Simplicity

In the morning I like to think about what can be pared away--what might I be able to let go of today? Whether physical or psychological, making small choices to free myself from the density of "stuff" and "noise" makes me feel alive and available to witness and delight in what IS. What I care about most is simplicity-- so that I can be a vessel for whatever the day brings to me. When I am simple, the world is endlessly fascinating! The WHAT ceases to matter and everything becomes all about the HOW. Simplicity is like freedom, and sometimes I don't know what to do with all of it. But whatever I do and wherever I am, I desire to get to the essential quality of the experience, which is actually a big commitment! Simplicity means that I find much contentment in exploring seemingly limited or rote subjects.  Being simple means having no fixed understanding about what things "should" be, no great expectations. I keep finding new meanings in the mundane. I like being surprised with the unexpected and absurd qualities that sometimes jump out from familiar spaces. I cultivate fluidity and flexibility in the way I receive the world. I like to embody this fluidity and flexibility in my physicality.

An example of this idea can be seen in the work of Robert Ryman, whose oeuvre explores white paintings. His works play with the extensive possibilities that exist within an extremely limited set of parameters: white paintings. I love this contradiction. And I understand it. I can explore what it is to do a plie for a lifetime (and I have!). What is important to me is to bring this curiosity and willingness to my perception so that I can experience the richness of art and life.


No comments:

Post a Comment