Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013


If, as an artist, I could wake up each day thinking about the thing I care most about as it relates to my artwork, what would that thing be? 
You can provide an answer in writing, in images, or both.

I feel like this question, in a sense, is asking me to talk about the thematic elements of my artwork and/or influences and references, and I am not sure if what I am trying to do is that well-defined or cohesive (yet?). I use painting as a visual representation of personal, subjective anxieties that stem from a particular obsession I am not entirely comfortable articulating here on our course blog. I want to leave my paintings open to interpretation and not let my particular, immediate intention directly affect that. However, I think my preoccupation with arbitrary rules, patterns, and limitations that I impose on my paintings does permeate a larger cultural space, especially in terms of (1) the philosophy of perfectionism and (2) the extent (or, even the existence) of individuality. I am hesitant to say I care most about this, but I do care a great deal about these two aforementioned ideas. I have yet to reach a definite opinion on the matter, but I am also really interested in the legacy of humankind, for the sake of it, even at the cost of human happiness—things like time-travel, genetic engineering, etc. (Of course, I am not saying my artwork articulates this in any way, but it is something I am beginning to think about in terms of how it relates to fine art, in general.) I suppose a general answer to this prompt would be, I want to wake up and think about the representation of philosophical ideas in visual art. But, really, I just wake up and obsess about the same things and try to find different ways to bring them to life visually, in hopes that their externalization gives them a purpose that is not destructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment