Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

awe-full mess


An important thing for me as an artist is my relationship with the past; my own past, the past of my generation, the past of my family, the past of my culture: The past that is still going on which has no form nor borders. It is, rather, a flow of shapeless images in which me and my generation are tied with past generations, where stories of my family are tied with the stories of other families, with an intermingling of pain, loss, and beauty. It consists of lived memories and dreams that I must stop to give shape to. A blinding awe-full mess of what I'm allowed to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment