Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Saturday, March 2, 2013

I think before falling a sleep, not in the morning.

I think about my art work in the night before falling asleep, not in the morning. In the morning I don't think at all. I act from feelings that were created during the night shaped by visions or thoughts about work I already have done or are going to do. Thus, previous work may lead to new work or a discovery about a certain medium can contribute to new work. However, another crux is that once I start working something totally different from what I felt in the morning may appear.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting. I'm kinda the opposite: I usually paint at night as an expression/release of daytime feelings/anxiety. What do you suppose would happen if, in the name of science, you reversed your process?? (We could both try it!)

    ReplyDelete