Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is a Forgery (HC)































This is a Picasso work that I originally saw at the Guggenheim. In museums I typically spend a very short amount of time looking at each work, but if a work really hits me, then I have to super awkwardly stand in front of it for an uncomfortably long time. This work completely hit me in this way. I think it is perfect. It's sad and lonely and kind of romantic at the same time. I feel that Picasso conveys a lot of strength and confidence in his work, and I think it's great to see someone who's work is so strong try to convey a fragility or exhaustion in this woman.


I believe the work is still at the Guggenheim. If stealing it were a movie, I'd totally have to be lowered down from the ceiling through the empty center section of the museum. Once I had the piece, I would just keep it to have around. It kind of feels like it should be in a kitchen, but I still am indecisive about the room it would be in. I could see it in a library/music room/living room upstairs room in a hypothetical huge apartment in the West Village or SoHo or the like.

No comments:

Post a Comment