Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is a Forgery (AY)

























I used to dream of living at the Met, sleeping in the period rooms at night and eating cupcakes on the steps by day. I have since settled for knowing my way around it, finding new shortcuts and hiding places where you can stay a while and pretend you belong. One of my most coveted objects is one of the largest in the collection, the most permanent. It would be hard to move. At 115 x 84 1/8 inches, it's so big that if it was in my living room, I'd be living in a 19th century luxurious home, hanging out with these lounging ladies. It would become a stage set. I want it.

Since it's too big to forge (and I can't paint that well) I decide to steal it. Dressed as a promising and pretentious British curator I would convince the met to sign my papers for an important London art fair. With my papers, dressed in overalls, I would stay after hours with my team, dismantle it, fold it and hide it in the Japanese galleries. Take a nap. At the dead of night, we walk out. The painting would be folded, so it could be anything inside. Back in my dorm, I move all the furniture to the common room and remain alone with the painting. it is too big for my room so I have it at an angle. I curl up in the corner it makes with the wall and sleep soundly, dreaming of having such fabulous dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment