Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is a Forgery (CS)














My absolute favorite painting in the world is Monet's Water Lilies (the series of paintings at the Musée de l'Orangeries in Paris, in particular). There's something about the colors, the half abstractedness, the brushstrokes and blends and faint figuration/imagery that is really beautiful. Each painting is very similar, with just enough differences in color schemes and composition to make it unique. They are made all the more interesting because Monet did them when he was going blind, which is essentially an artist's worst fear - and yet he managed to turn it into this.

I don't have a favorite - I love all the paintings in the series an equal amount. I have a poster of one of them in my room (I picked it at random out of a pile, since I couldn't decide which was my favorite). My mother, who is as in love with them as I am, painted her own version, just as big, which is now displayed in our living room at home.

In my opinion, in this case, it's not the artist that is important, not the name or prestige associated with the name "Monet," but the painting itself - which is why I like my mother's version just as much as his. The beauty of the painting, which is why I like it, comes from the painting itself, never mind who painted it. So, that being said, to commit a forgery, I would just paint my own version, like my mother did. I wouldn't sign it with his name, as his name isn't important, and I wouldn't pass it off as his. (Does that mean it's not a forgery, if I admit I did it myself?) The only reason I would recreate it is so that I could have it for myself - I'm not interested in creating a forgery to make money or gain prestige or pull one over on the public. I'm only interested so that I can have one for myself, in my home, to look at whenever I want, because it's beautiful and visually pleasing to have. So I would create my own version and keep it, just simply because I like to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment