Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Monday, April 23, 2012

This is a Forgery (ES)

























I have been obsessed with the View of Toledo for as long as I can remember. I’m not sure when or where I first saw an image of this painting, but all I knew is that I needed to see it in person someday. I’m not sure when I first saw the painting in person, but all I knew is I needed to own it. I’m not sure when I purchased my first poster with this image on it, but all I knew is that it wasn’t good enough. I’m not sure how I first broke into the Met to steal this painting, but all I knew was that I was going to walk up the stairs, turn right, and take what was rightfully mine. I’m not sure where the guards were when I replaced this painting with my framed poster, but all I knew is that no one would ever know. I’m not sure why I’m finally confessing all of this, but all I know is that nobody loves this painting as much as I do. I’m not sure if anyone is going to make a fuss about this painting being in the hands of its rightful owner, but all I know is that it is mine and it always will be –forever. I dare anyone to try to take it from me. I am not sure who Eduardo Santana is, but all I know is that I am Doménikos Theotokópoulos and people call me “El Greco”. I viewed this view first, and I should be the only one who gets to view it. [STOP]

No comments:

Post a Comment