Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Prompt #8: Met Marathon

Odysseus, Athena, Aphrodite, Hera, Zeus... 
Since I was in elementary school, I became fascinated with the Greek-Roman myth/ theology. 
The enchanting tales of the gods and goddesses, as well as humans were thrilling to me. As I was wondering around the Met, I came across a very familiar scene from the Greek-Roman myth stories I have read when I was young: Perseus with the Head of Medusa. Here, Perseus is holding the severed head of Medusa, one of the Gorgons in his triumphant pose, armed with winged cap, sword, and Mercury's sandal. The tale of Perseus was indeed one of my most favorite from the Greek-Roman mythology; although he was abandoned from the royal family and was raised in a poor setting, Perseus nevertheless became the nation's hero by killing the ferocious monster Medusa. The heroic, grandiose quality of this statue is further strengthened by Antonio Canova's use of marble; the stone yields brilliant effects, being both pristine and sensual at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment