Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Prompt #7: My Physics Atlas

I make work from my personal experiences. Experiences that have shaped me as who I am now. For one of my works, I worked from my recollection/ memory of fireworks I went to see in 2011 winter. The way the fireworks scattered away at the end of the splendid show strongly moved my heart; it was the moment when everything ended and disappeared like the wind.

In order to capture this moment as faithfully as possible, I put great deal of effort in painting the sky; the hue of the sky was deep and mysterious at the same time! I put various (I used all color in the palette) colors to make the sky profound. Then, I tried to remember the marvelous, fantastic way in which the firework particles scattered away, and put endless marks of these on canvas. The process is shown below.





The final product of the work: 


As I intended, I was able to vividly capture the sparkling, splendid particles of the fireworks all scattering away in the deep, fantastic blue sky. This was the one of the most significant moments in my life that moved my heart. *



No comments:

Post a Comment