Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Met Piece

I love egyptian art. I was obsessed with Egypt as a small child. As every other child was probably watching saturday morning cartoons I was tuned into PBS's special with Dr. Zahi Hawass as he explored the artifacts in the Egyptian tombs. I loved the rituals as a child. This world of mythology with such clear picture...really the fact that there could be a language of pictures. The idea of hieroglyphs was incredible to me. 
Now I have come to appreciate the timelessness of the art. Egyptian art is sort of amazing in the fact that it is so incredibly static. For several thousands of years (minus the reign of Akhenaten) the style did not change. It remained in a way where time just never passed. Much like how the afterlife worked to create a timelessness for these people. 
Maybe its my own fear and obsession with time passing that drives me so much to stillness. To remain the same seems so appealing. Maybe its just nostalgia. 

Anywho, while there are a lot of great pieces to chose from I've always been drawn most to the funerary objects. I chose the Singer of Amun Nany's Funerary Papyrus in gallery 126 for my piece as it also shows not only the stillness of the images but the amazing preservation of the papyrus. Such a fragile document to survive so long, its just incredible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment