Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fragmentation of Fragments


I decided to fragment my fragmentation. Ironically, the original piece is made of fragments. Pettibon took fragments of books (specifically the title page) and commented on them. He drew attention to the least valuable page of a book. No one really reads the title page (if you do I'm sorry on the regular), unless a person has scribbled a note denoting this book as a gift. The title page becomes valuable when it is written on by another. When another person claims ownership of it. Pettibon plays with this idea by writing on the page not a dedication but a comment. He directly comments on the title, setting a different tone for the book that would read in the future. Yet, it is just the title page present; the book cannot be read. Therefore, he takes ownership of the book for the viewer. The viewer at this moment only knows the books through the comments nothing more. He becomes omnipotent in a way.

I don't like being out of control, so I gave myself new power in my fragment. Abstraction allowed me to get rid of all the knowledge Pettibon had added and all the context of the original book page fragments. I zoomed in until the text became line and the paper became grainy. Yet, the fact that it is clearly text still shows through. You just don't know what letters are there. What they mean? What they say? I do. In this case abstraction through fragmentation got me a pen and ink line drawing as well as a small power trip in knowing more than my viewer. The actual piece the photo is mine, so I guess this is my art. But I prefer to think that when viewed separately from the original it is the knowledge not the object that is the art.


No comments:

Post a Comment