Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Show Me The Monet, They All Say



The Parc Monceau, 1876, Claude Monet - Clear Online version


photo.JPG

The Parc Monceau, 1876, Claude Monet, Camera phone version
 

photo.JPG

Extremely crowded places, like the Met, and people with sometimes nonexistent rules about personal space, really turns up my temperature. So, from what I could observe of my beloved Monet's Le Parc Monceau... give someone else the floor, steal another extended glimpse, give another gal or guy the floor, repeat, wait for yet another group of tourists to come, ooh and aah, and go off to the next whatever... repeat and repeat for nearly forty five minutes... the brush strokes on the right side of this striking painting, seem to form what I am calling, a figure of woman in a hat and not one, but two smaller figures (children?) following behind her, even though the second small figure is not fully outlined. Not only my gut, but something about my untrained artistic eyes tells me that I am one hundred percent correct.    





No comments:

Post a Comment