Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Representational Shit" Critique

Hello, fellow artists! I have come (again) in search of critique! :)

This is my second sculpture project, "Representational Shit." Although my sculpture crit this week was cut short and not very detailed, I did come away with a few good suggestions: 1) I plan on omitting the angora rabbit from the installation; the litter box is strong as an independent object (agree/disagree?) and 2) The photographs do not capture the hostile reaction my rabbit had towards the box, so I need to get more angry photos, or omit them entirely (?). I would like to exhibit this piece in the upcoming undergrad show, so I am really looking for feedback about whether photos (provided I better document the hostile reaction) strengthen or weaken the piece? (I was conducting an experiment of sorts to see if my rabbit would use the replica litter box. He ignored it until he needed to use the bathroom, then attacked the replica, and tried to eat it.)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Genevieve

1 comment:

  1. I love the rabbit! Perhaps a video piece would be more feasible for the interaction..

    ReplyDelete