Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I wanted to show you my favorite space again, since today it had its usual character (completely empty). The furniture is by Nakashima and the orchid is always there in the corner. The whole space delights me with its feeling of aesthetic repose amidst the visual frenzy that is the Metropolitan Museum. I like the tactility of the wood and the dimness. The calmness and smallness of the space, with its invitation to sit in quiet comfort, is like an opposite to all the rest of the museum. I hope you will all enjoy it in the future!


I was struck with the halo above Gabriel's head. The museum proposes specific sight lines, but sometimes looking above or below reveals something. I'm awfully fond of ceilings :)





I like to observe people in the museum to see what they want to look at. I have noticed that many take on something of the attitude, or share something in the arrangement of themselves with the works that surround them. Here life seems to be imitating art.


Maybe it's just the aura of the Met, but the fasteners and implements of display in this case felt like art, too!








Random, disjoint placard in bright orange--this one seems ironic in light of the current EU financial crisis.






Mirrors in the Met are interesting in how they reflect their surroundings. As a framed reflection, I wonder how much thought goes into their placement as a way to enhance the visibility of other objects.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment