Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Reflection

Eye and Idea really helped me sharpen my senses when approaching art. Before, when viewing an artwork, I would try to think more than purely to "look." For the first presentation, I was surprised that this is actually a non-spoken presentation, and that we have to simply show our works by itself. Without saying anything, I showed my works one by one, and while doing that I realized that the works can "speak" by itself. I got to say I really enjoyed doing the presentations. Since I have only taken art history classes in the past, giving talks about my favorite artist, as well as my own artwork (mini artist-talk :)) was truly fresh and delightful. I also learned a great deal from doing the weekly prompts. One of the most inspiring ones was "When there is nothing to see, you look." I realized then, that there is real beauty in the ordinary things around us if we pay attention carefully. The gallery walks and field trips to artists' studios were also inspiring and fascinating! I remember when we visited Michael's studio he talked about his art- making process. He said that while making art, all the people and the things he has heard and seen flash through his mind, and that at the end, it is "him" who is left. This touched and inspired me. I know as an artist that one has to put his heart and mind into his work. There is countless inspirations among us that we can retrieve, and we (artists) have the capacity to transform what is ordinary (things existing around us) to something new and wonderful. The particular exhibit that I was drawn into was William Kentridge's show at the Met. (Emma's piece for the Met Marathon) This semester was the first time I learned about William Kentridge, and I was blown away when I saw the exhibit. (I actually got inspiration from William Kentridge for my Final Project for Drawing II class) This class was amazing. Thank you Mary for organizing everything! I really hope to see all of you in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment