Visual Arts, Columbia University, New York

This course examines ways of looking and ways of seeing, both personally & professionally as artists and in a larger cultural context. Through field trips to contemporary art and other cultural sites, conversations with visiting critical thinkers and practicioners, readings, discussions, and visual & written responses, we will examine how we look, think, act, create and respond--critically questioning our own artistic practices and ways of looking at the world.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Reflection

Well, I am starting this post a bit late because I was not sure what to do. I wanted to make a piece, but to be honest all my work for this class has been made not because of the prompt but from my own motivation before the assignment that I have fit to be within the parameters of the topic through a written justification. I could have done the same thing for this assignment but I didn't really find a fit. I could say how the Kentridge shows have inspired my films, but that wouldn't be true. He inspired my films but I had those ideas way before I saw those shows and I changed nothing after seeing them. I could talk about how my other pieces have been inspired by the trip to the Morgan Library as they are text based works, but that would be off as well. I made them because of a need to make them. Nothing more, nothing less. I make work because I have to get something out. Working for a prompt just doesn't suit me and this class has made that clear to me. Which in and of itself is an interesting discovery on my work.
In terms of then writing about a particular show or exhibition or talk, that would also be insincere. I have enjoyed all the different talks and have taken bits and pieces from everyone, but not one in particular really stands out as a major  influence in my practice. There are moments like the use of the flower presses as a pedestal from Virginia Poundstone to the funny timer in that video of yellow objects in that LES gallery, but nothing I could dedicate paragraphs to. Perhaps its simply the way I function in regards to art. I like fragments. I don't take references as a whole. Even the artists I most admire, I tend to really only gravitate to a detail (Matisse's gestures of the spine, the feet on greek statues, or Picasso's hair on his minatour sketches). The detail surpasses the whole to the point where speaking to a whole does not make sense to my logic.
I guess what I can say is that I have learned the most not from the field trips or talks, but y'all. Hearing different perspectives on the exhibitions, prompts, and then seeing your responses in the context of y'all's work has really pushed me to think about different ways in which art discussion relates to practice, and how many different ways there are to approach an idea, so thank you for that. Learning about everyone through art was really cool. You forget how much your art says about you until you see other people's work that you know. That really has changed my awareness to my own work and how I need to approach aspects of pieces in the future.
Sorry to say that I slept through the party tonight, I do feel terrible that I did not get see everyone for one more class. Hopefully I'll see y'all soon (perhaps at the undergrad show on friday yay advertising). Good luck in the future. Y'all are a talented bunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment